And away I go

All right, I'm going to do it. Why not? It makes sense to me. I am an aspiring writer after all and what better motivation is there? I am going to put 50,000 words down on paper, figurative paper because I'll be using my computer, and turn it into a novel all in 30 days. The people over at National Novel Writing Month do this every November and this year happens to be their 10th anniversary.

Theoretically, if I write just over 1,667 words a day I can achieve my goal. I figure that's 2 hours of good, solid writing a day. And maybe more if I am on a roll. I haven't picked out a title. That I think will come later. And I'm not sure what to write about, but I am getting very excited about this challenge. I have joined a group at Blog Catalog . Come over and join us!

For those who are not going to participate in NaNoWriMo you can follow my word count progress right here on my blog.

2 comments:

Charlotte Rains Dixon said...

You'll love doing Nanowrimo. Its a great way to kick start a novel. I did it a couple years ago and wrote a raw rough draft of the novel I am now revising. Hmmm....I'm halfway tempted to join you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Cassie said...

Hi CJ,
Thanks for stopping by.

Drop me a line if you need help or encouragement.

I'm Cassie Ryan on NaNoWriMo and Script Frenzy. 3 consecutive NaNo wins and 2 consecutive Scenzy wins. All of these are part of a romantic suspense series I've been working on for years. Still need massive revisions on them. LOL

Two things I learned:
1. Get as far ahead as you can during the first week. You'll be enthusiastic. Words come easier then the rest of the month. It's easier than playing catch up the last week. Trust me, writing about 15K in less than 4 days at the end of the month is killer especially since I work in retail.

I got to 50K in two weeks one year because I was cruising during the first week. Took me two weeks for another 25K. That's the closest to a complete first draft I've gotten.

2. If you've got something to do that day, break up your writing over a number of hours.
For example, write about 200 words in an hour. It could take you five minutes or a minute or two during that hour. At the end of 10 hours, you've got 2,000 words

I've found that this works well for me. I've written close to 6K in about five hours, but it exhausted me.


Good luck and update when you can. I'll try to update better this time around.